Please read these guidelines and then send your article, essay, review, research notes, conference summary, etc. to the appropriate Associate Editor (see below).
Value and Uniqueness of TJJ
- The Transformative Justice Journal publishes rigorously peer-reviewed academic work of the highest quality.
- The Transformative Justice Journal provides the utmost respect and care during the review process.
- The Transformative Justice Journal is a free-to-access electronic journal.
- The Transformative Justice Journal charges no fees for publication.
- The Transformative Justice Journal supports and encourages submissions that are excluded from mainstream journals, including the use of photographic, videom MP3, and new media work.
- The Transformative Justice Journal, while an academic journal provides space and place for activists contributions.
- research articles and essays – 2,000 to 10,000 words
- student final papers – no more than 10,000 words
- course/class summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- research notes – no more than 2,000 words
- commentary – no more than 2,000 words
- tactic and strategy analysis – no more than 10,000 words
- academic development – no more than 10,000 words
- lecture summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- conference summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- event summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- action alert summaries – no more than 2,000 words
- film, book, art, and media reviews – no more than 3,000 words
- interviews and dialogues – between 1,000 to 10,000 words
- poems – no more than 10,000 words
- All submissions should have appropriate references and citations. Manuscripts should be single line spacing, 12-point font and conform to the American Psychological Association (APA) style format.
- Submissions must be sent in Microsoft Word format. Submissions in other software formats will not be reviewed.
- Authors should remove all self-identification from their submissions, but all submissions must be accompanied by a title page with author(s) name and affiliation, name of type of submission (e.g., article, review, conference summary, etc.), contact information including e-mail, postal address, and phone number.
- Authors must include an abstract of no more than 150 words that briefly describes the manuscript’s contents.
- Upon acceptance for review, the Transformative Justice Journal editors will send manuscripts, under a double-peer reviewed process, to no less than two, and generally three reviewers. Reviewers provide their recommendations to the editor, who makes the final decision to accept the manuscript.
- The Transformative Justice Journal holds to the utmost respect, love, and care when reviewing manuscripts. Each review we assure is constructive, positive, and hopefully useful to the author. We strongly welcome first time authors, students, nontraditional students, activists, youth, community organizers, prisoners, politicians, and teachers.
Submissions will be assigned to one of the four following categories:
1. accept without revisions
2. accept with editorial revisions
3. revise and resubmit for peer review
- Every effort will be made to inform authors of the editor’s decision within 100 days of receipt of a manuscript. Authors, whose manuscripts are accepted for publication, will be asked to submit a brief biography that includes their institutional or organizational affiliations and their research interests. The Transformative Justice Journal only publishes original materials. Please do not submit manuscripts that are under review or previously published elsewhere.
Copyright, Republishing, and Royalties
- All Work published by the Journal is copyrighted by the Transformative Justice Journal.
- Republication of Contributor’s Submitted Work may be assessed a reasonable fee for the administration and facilitation to other presses. Such fee shall be determined at the discretion of the Transformative Justice Journal.
- Royalties: Contributor agrees and acknowledges that no royalty, payment, or other compensation will be provided by the Transformative Justice Journal in exchange for or resulting from the publication of the Submitted Work.
TJJ uses a rolling submission process, allowing authors to submit at any time during the year without time restraints or quota of articles in an issue. Rolling submission, the most current scholarly method of accepting publications, allows for more timely publications and current scholarship to enter the public sphere in a more timely fashion, rather than conforming to traditional academic print journal guidelines.
We are pleased to accept your submissions at any time and will move quickly through the review process to ensure timeliness.
For submission, please submit to: